The game of Roulette is immensely popular be it in a brick or mortar casino or in an online casino. Well-known for its simple rules and easy gameplay, Roulette has indeed attracted millions of avid casino players across the globe. If you are someone who enjoys playing table games, then, it is certain that you must have come across or seen what is called the Roulette wheel. The Roulette wheel is one of the most important components in the game of Roulette.
The wheel comprises 37 pockets that are neatly numbered from 0 to 36, while the American variant has 38, two of which are zeros.
Here is everything that you need to know about the Roulette wheel, its role, history and function.
Roulette wheel: Its application and features
Once the game round begins, the dealer will spin the wheel and drop the ball on the outside ring. When the speed slows down, the ball ends up in one of the numbered slots, thus deciding the winner.
Below are some of the features that are associated with the wheel. Take a close look!
- Diamonds – They are an important part of the Roulette wheel which helps ensure random and unbiased results.
- Ball Track – It is the part of the wheel where the ball travels. Conventional casinos use wooden tracks that have a thin layer of epoxy resin that prevents wear and tear.
- Rotor – Rotor is the mechanism that makes the wheel turn. It weighs close to 15kg and is designed to eliminate wheel bias.
- Pockets – They are also called slots consisting of 37 or 38 numbered sections in the Roulette wheel, where the ball eventually comes to a halt. They are either black or red, with the only exception of the 0 which is green.
- Base – This is the outer part of the Roulette wheel, which is made up of partly metal and wood. Its main role is to protect the wheel, particularly the ball track.
History of the Roulette wheel: A short glimpse
Well, the exact time period as to when Roulette was first discovered is unclear and unrecorded. The reliable sources suggest that Roulette was introduced in the early 1700s. Later, it was in the year 1720 that Frenchman Blaise Pascal came up with a primitive form of the Roulette wheel while looking for a perpetual motion machine. It was only after a century when the game of Roulette was introduced in casinos operating in Europe.
It was Francois Blanc who introduced the first Roulette wheel with a pocket that contains only one zero. This proved to be a huge success, as it opened the door to much larger house advantage. In the years to come, Roulette became one of the most popular classic casino games in both Europe and North America and ever since then, it has been one of the best-loved table games.
Today, Roulette wheels are built to a far higher standard which makes them more reliable thus eliminating biases that might have occurred due to imperfections of the device. It was in the year 2016 when the Venetian Las Vegas introduced the first triple 0 Roulette wheel in the world.
The sequence and layout of the Roulette wheel
The design and layout of the Roulette wheel comprise of the following:
- The colours alternate the wheel – This implies that in a Roulette wheel, the colour of two pockets is never the same next to each other.
- The wheel layout is puzzling – The layout of the Roulette wheel is difficult to understand the first couple of times you play. Well, this is done on purpose in order to make the game more challenging and fun.
- The low and high numbers are placed alternatively – Just like the colour sequence and design, the low and high numbers in a Roulette wheel are never next to each other except for the 5 and 10 on the European Roulette wheel.
- Odd and even numbers distribution – The odd and even numbers are placed on the Roulette wheel in such a way that no more than two of them are close to each other.
Note: It is only with rigorous practice can you perfectly get the grip of the Roulette wheel layout and design. It is advisable that you understand the game rules thoroughly before you begin to play.
What’s with the Roulette wheel numbers?
Did you know?
It is believed that the longer a certain number has not been chosen, the higher chance there is that it may come up. It is for this reason that many software developers include a hot and cold number section on their Online Roulette games so that players can see the pockets that have been selected the most and the least. This is indeed an apt example of the gambler’s fallacy. It is true that some numbers tend to come up more often than others. Some of the examples of such numbers include 20, 29, 2 and 5. However, do bear in mind that none of this has been scientifically proven and if you place your bet on the line you will be relying solely on luck and chance.
The intricacies of 0 and 00 Roulette Bets
The fascinating aspect of the additional 00 to the Roulette wheel UK allows players to place two additional bets. The first of them is the 0 and 00, which are both single number bets and come with a probability of 1/37 or 2.78%. In contrast to this, the payout for betting on either 0 or 00 is exactly the same as it is on the European Roulette variant, despite the additional pocket. In both cases, you will get 35x your initial bet in case your guess stands right.
Another exclusive aspect with respect to the American Roulette variant is the row bet. In this case, the player needs to bet on the ball stopping on either 00 or 0 and the odds will be 1/18 or 5.56%. If he wins, the house will pay 17x the wager. The probability of winning makes this bet suitable to less experienced players or those who do not wish to spend extensively.
Playing Roulette for real money: Tips and guidelines
Now that you know how the Roulette wheel works, you can now start playing for real money at our casino endlessly and enjoy the game to the fullest extent possible. Be extra cautious when selecting the Roulette variant as it may affect your gaming journey. Checking if the gambling site chosen is safe and secure also stands crucial. And this where we come into play. At Jackpot Mobile Casino, you are sure to enjoy a spectacular online gaming experience with complete safety and security from the comforts of your home without any hassles.
Our casino is licensed and regulated by the Gambling Commission. So you can be assured of quality, authenticity and safety. So, gear up and get started with your online gaming adventure by exploring some of the finest Roulette variants at our casino today. And yes, don’t forget to grab attractive bonuses along the journey! Happy gaming there!