Responsible Gambling is an endeavour taken up by the various online and uk casino mobile establishments, to counter the Gambling Disorder which some of the players may face. Just as we go to movies, restaurants, etc and spend within our budgets, Gambling should also be considered as a form of entertainment.
Responsible Gambling means knowing the consequence of gambling, on your personal and professional life. It also means, understanding that it is just an entertainment which requires budgeting and planning. It recognises that only disposable money should be used for gambling, withdrawing on a winning streak and more importantly stop gambling when losing. Getting timely help when faced with a gambling disorder or addiction is also a part of it.
Recognising the tell tale signs
While a majority of the players treat gambling as a fun activity, sometimes they can lose control and it becomes a disorder which affects their personal and professional life. There are a number of subtle signs which the family and friends can pick up. A closer look at the person’s activities and daily routine will let you know that there is a gambling problem.
- Difficulty in maintaining focus in work and home
- Always pre- occupied with gambling sites and news
- Refusing to acknowledge that there is a Gambling problem
- Lying, making excuses, skipping work etc, to give gambling top priority
- Wagering with money that doesn’t exist. Thus running debts, borrowing or stealing money
- Feeling disturbed, frustrated, irritable when not able to gamble for long hours
- Extended periods of gambling, losing sense of time and money
Support & Treatment
Recognising and acknowledging that you have a gambling problem, is the first step to recovery. When this subconscious mental block is removed, the player is more receptive to treatment. The support of family and friends are of paramount importance in this endeavour.
The most important factor in treating the gambling addiction is identifying the reasons for what makes them gamble in the first place.
- Adrenaline rush which they get from playing. The feeling of well being that comes with winning.
- Monetary benefits that increases your financial position
- As an escape method to beat family and work related problems
- As a stress buster or for entertainment
- Initially peer pressure is the first step, but once addicted it takes hold
The next step in the road to gambling recovery is engaging the help of professionals of this field. There are many government and private medical facilities that help deal with this problem. Following are the most recognised and established organisations in this field.
Gamblers Anonymous: A self help group of men and women who have come together to face the problem of gambling. They offer support and help to other compulsive gamblers. It is recognised by the government and is one of the leading organisations involved in gambling addiction.
Online UK service site: http://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk
International service site: http://www.gamblersanonymous.org
Gamble Aware: A website that gives advice on gambling responsibly – this means making choices based on all the facts, and staying in control of how much time and money you spend.
Online Site: http://www.gambleaware.co.uk/
GamCare: A registered charity that takes a non-judgemental approach to gambling, and a leading authority on the provision of information, advice and practical help in addressing the social impact of gambling.
Online Support: http://www.gamcare.org.uk
National helpline number: 0808 8020133
Gambling Therapy: Gambling Therapy provides advice and support through email, forums and live help. They offer a global support and service is available in multiple languages. If English isn’t your fist language this group will be very helpful.
Online Site: https://www.gamblingtherapy.org
Responsible Gambling Council: It is an independent non-profit organization dedicated to problem gambling prevention. It works towards reducing gambling risks by creating and delivering awareness and information programs. It is involved in improved adoption of play safeguards through best practices research, RG Check accreditation program and standards development.
Online Site: www.responsiblegambling.org
Responsible Gambling Efforts From The Online Casinos Side
All the online Casino establishments are committed to making your gambling experiences safe, secure and fair. They recognize that the various players are here to enjoy their time here with the chance of winning in the process.
The efforts put in by the online casinos are
- Prevent under age players from playing – They undertake strict ID and age verification proof to establish the age of the players.
- Parental control software can be installed to prevent underage gambling and prevent them from accessing inappropriate websites.
- Allowing only players from countries where online gambling is allowed to play at their sites.
Several gambling and depositing limits are available for the players. They are encouraged to opt for these measures to prevent excessive gambling.
Self Exclusion – If the players feel that their gambling activity is becoming an addiction, there are several self exclusion tools offered by the casinos. They specify the period for which their casino account will be locked, thus preventing gambling. They can contact the customer support team, email or call them to initiate this option.
Daily/Weekly/Monthly Deposit limits – The players can set their daily, weekly or monthly deposit limits to counter their gambling activities. They cannot gamble once this limit is reached.
In addition to the above measures all the licensed gambling establishments are required to contribute towards the Responsible Gambling Trust which is involved in research, education and treatment of the problem gamblers.
Basic common tips for Responsible Gambling
- Never gamble under duress or emotional pressure
- Gamble within your set time and money limits
- Never chase losses
- Play for fun and enjoy your gambling
If you gamble responsibly, you will enjoy your stint at the online casinos and win extra money in the process.